Saturday, September 3, 2005

Dad, a refugee ...

 

 Photo from AOL News

     My sister just got a message, it said "your father has been a Hurricane Refugee staying in my home until this morning, Saturday, September 3rd. He is on his way to Florida, you should be hearing from him as soon as he is out of this area and can pick up cell phone reception.

     The message also said "I do have some very urgent news that your father will want to have right away. We just got word this morning that his house along with several others on the same street (named neighbors) are still standing."

     He went on to mention that it was confirmed information by a friend that stayed behind and did not evacuate, this friend had actually gone to Dads house to check on him, knocked on the door and has verified that the house is still standing and everything seemed to be intact!

    This is incredibly good news. It's good news that he is on his way here ... good news that his house is still standing and good news that although he can certainly be considered a refugee, he is not one of the thousands in the photo above. What about them? Are we doing everything we can to make things better for them?

    

Donate now --> American Red Cross

   Donate now -->    Noah's Wish

     BTW ... my pick for J-link du jour is from an AOL, Katrina News Blog called See the Photos You Took. It's difficult looking at the images of this storms aftermath but not a bad idea that AOL decided to post the photos from it's members there.

                                               

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm very happy your dad and his house is ok. You are absolutely right this is being handled so very poorly. I live in Memphis Tn. trucks and people here thousands of them ready to go help were turned around on their trip to New Orleans and told to come back to memphis and wait until Washington tells them to go. Wait yes, that's exactly what they are being told to do wait until they get the ok from Washington. We have 3 more yrs. of this with this president. The rest. and all places around town are full of people with supplies, trucks and man power that cannot go until Washington says so. Washington if you wait long enough we can just go with body bags after the water is gone. What kind of President is this ? This is not hear say this is what I see with my own eyes. I will keep your family in my prayers

Anonymous said...

Coy it is such good news about your dad.  We hope that he will be able to return to it safe and sound...Ally

Anonymous said...

What great news for your family !!!  

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you that your Dad is safe and lucky to have his house still standing. With all the horrible things we have seen on our t.v. it is heartwarming to hear something good.

Anonymous said...

Good News about your Dad and his house. Glad he is headed towards you. I haven't been around much because I chose this week to have a horrible summer cold. First I knew I was getting sick was when I went to give blood on Tuesday night and got turned away because I had a fever... HUH? Yep, and by Wed morning I couldn't swallow <sigh>. Full fledged summer cold <huge sigh> But, I will be better by next week and I will go back and donate the blood. Compared to what all of the refuges from Katrina are going thru, a summer cold is well... so minor. But at least I know one refuge who is heading towards a safe place!

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful news Coy! I'm so happy to hear your Dad is OK. The house is extra icing on the cake. ~ Lori

Anonymous said...

I am glad your dad and his house are both good!!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

YAAA! So happy!!!

http://journals.aol.com/psychfun/MeThinksTooMuch/

Psychfun

Anonymous said...

Good news all the way around!
Connie

Anonymous said...

some good news at last.  

Anonymous said...

Glad your Dad ia safe and house OK........Kasey

Anonymous said...

Wonderful journal and effort in this terrible trajedy
<3 Amanda

Anonymous said...

Nice to see some good news for a change.

Anonymous said...

Coy
I'm so glad to hear that your father is safe and on his way.  That his house is still standing is a bonus.  
Sam

Anonymous said...

Thank God He's ok. Well, you will have a houseguest for a while.. might as well paly catch up with him while he's there.
M

Anonymous said...

Good news indeed!
We're giving through the LA Times, which offered matching (50%) funds....  :)

Anonymous said...

More good news!

Anonymous said...

That's great news.