Friday, June 4, 2010

100 Things About Me # 54 ... Thursday Night Has Been Date Night For A Long Long Time

David started a new job this week that has officially put an end to a tradition that has lasted for many years ... Thursday Night Date Night!

We have always arranged our schedules to allow for something fun to do together on Thursday nights, staying out late has never been an issue because neither of us ever has to get up early on Friday morning to rush off to work.

We never skip Thursday night unless one of us is out of town. We live 35 -40 miles apart so it does take quite a bit of effort for us to make time for each other.

Yesterday was my first Thursday Night without a date in ages and such a nice thing happened to me on my way home from work.

Jenn (David's Daughter) called and she said “I just want you to know that if I still lived in Florida, I would so pick up my father’s slack and become your new Thursday Night Girl. We could hang out, drink margaritas or do whatever you wanted to on Thursday Nights, now that he’s not available"
I told her I was on my way to the Whole Foods Market and then off to Barnes & Noble to scan the something new to focus on isles. She suggested I might want to choose someplace other than ones her father and I frequent.
I thanked her for her thoughtfulness; really … it was delightful to get that phone call from her on my first Thursday Date Night without her Dad.
Pretty soon we were off on another conversation but I was truly touched by her thoughtfulness. That girl and I need each other.
I have two daughters, a grand daughter and one very tall and handsome son ... they all live so far away. Jennifer is likely to be the only other Daughter I'll ever get, I hate that she and her kids live so far away too.

3 comments:

DB said...

But what a sweet gesture on her part. Maybe you cn put Thursday on the shelf and work out another arrangement with her Dad.

DB

Er. said...

Really a sweet gesture on her part!

Coy said...

Thanks DB and V Author, yes ... it was a sweet gesture on her part. She lives on long Island and I live in South Florida so it's obviously not a posibility but an appreciated gesture for sure.

BTW DB ... her Father and I will always have other arrangements. I'm always off one day on the weekend and we normally spend at least part of that day together. But putting Thursday on the shelf is a concept that does not come without reisitance for me.

Thanks to both of you for stopping by and taking time to comment.

xoxoxo Coy