Saturday, June 2, 2007

Golden Ratio ...

     a lesson in divine design!

This was an artsy girls day out with my friend Karen. We made a special trip to butterfly world to see an exhibit of paintings by local artist Mark Merrill. What we ended up with in addition to seeing his beautiful botanicals, was a private lesson in the ancient art of proportion. Why didn't someone tell me that math could be so much fun?

Today we loosely call it the rule of thirds, but for hundreds of years master painters, sculptors, composers, architects and writers have known that it's the golden rectangle that holds the secret of true beauty.

Play the video below to hear more ...

                                                             *** Coy ***

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Coy
Interesting!  I knew about the rule of thirds, but had not heard of it as the golden rectangle.  Glad you had fun at the Mark Merrill exhibit.
Sam

Anonymous said...

Now if I'd had teachers like that maybe I would like math more!

Anonymous said...

I'm familiar with these concepts, but didn't realize that they were so prevalent in nature.  That's fascinating.

Anonymous said...

never knew about this but it was sure nice looking at the sensitive hunk and hearing him explain and I learned something new.  Thanks

Anonymous said...

Wail...wait...the haze is beginning to clear.  I think I remember you!  It's coming to me.  

LOL!

Anonymous said...

What cool stuff to learn :)

xoxo