Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Reflecting ...



According to Dr. Meltzer’s 10 rules, our lifestyles should be patterned to satisfy our most fundamental needs and most basic priorities. For me, putting things back into prospective will be no small task.


Even the very basics like fitness, nutrition, meditation, sleep, love, family, money and relaxation are out of balance in my life. I don’t often take the time to look at just how off kilter things are.

A large part of my imbalance has to do with my work schedule. For the last 12 years or so I've worked 6 days a week, and anywhere from 50 to 60 hours per week. Right now I am scheduled for 51.


The bad part of my schedule is not only the number of hours I work but also the time of day I have to work them. We are open from 8 am until 11:30pm and I have often found myself closing (could get out after midnight) and then having to be right back there first thing in the morning.


Right now I usually work from either 11am – 7pm or 1pm - 9pm and then 11 hours on Sunday. I also have about 250 hours of vacation time built up, obviously that means I take very little time off. No wonder I often feel so exhausted.





No comments: