Last week I started thinking a lot about how sedentary my life has become in the last year or so (pretty scary). Not only has my job that once included 45-50 hours a week of walking now turned into 40 hours behind a desk, I aso have about 6 hours commute time sitting in my car each week. I seem do a lot of sitting at home now too.
I don't watch much TV, almost none. But I would not even want to start adding up the hours I spend behind my computer, both here in J-land and with photo editing, (eeek).
The classes I take at night, although they do include a long hike through the parking lot and across the campus, still add up to another 2 hours a week of sitting, per class.
Thinking about all of this made me start feeling pretty guilty about the gym membership I'm paying for at La Fitness and have not used on a regular basis in months (ok ... about a year). I know I'm not the only one out there doing this.
I asked my self what it would take to motivate me to get up and out and through the doors of that gym for the first few times, here's the what I came up with.
1. Call Sheila and see if she would consider getting up and out of the house before work in the morning so we could work out together.
I called and YAY!!! she agreed to 3 mornings per week, (she is so not a morning person). check
2. Get my things together ... shoes, socks, sweats, t shirts, towel, blow dryer, lock, soap and shampoo, water bottle, etc ... check
3. Tell someone so I can't back out. Besides Sheila, I told Karen, Stella, my Sister and Mortimer ... Mortimer's gym entries are part of my motivation. check
4. Call Sheila again and make sure she did not change her mind. check
5. Find out Sheila has been painting in her sweats and will need to go out to buy something new to work out in and decide that I too should go shopping for something new tonight.
At first I was finding only odd unfamiliar colors (notice the peach and seafom in the photo above but YAY .. finally found old familiar black) I bought all three. check
6. Get clothes ready tonight for work tomorrow, will be leaving for work from the gym after shower. check
7. Pack my bag and try to remember the combination to my lock. check
8. Set my alarm clock for 5:45 am check
9. make a quick run through my favorite reads here in J-Land, and write this silly entry (first things first ya know). check
10. get a good night sleep ... soon to check that one. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.
Remind me to tell you sometime about the butterfly with the window in his throat on my signature below ;-)