Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Outside my comfort zone ...

      I've been taking classes at night for about a year now. When Mandy moved out, the nest was empty and it became oh so quiet around here. I thought that keeping busy would be the key to surviving the first year.

                       

     Being the Mother of three, parenting is something I did full time for over 21 years. I didn't receive a manual when I got my kids that explained all the requirements involved nor did I receive one that explained what you were supposed to do when you wake up one morning and they are all gone.

      So ... I decided busy had to be good, real busy. I work 6 days a week, take tons of photographs, write my journal, hang out with my friends and my sister and take classes at night.

                       

     Most of the classes I've taken so far are art related. Digital photography, Photoshop, Dream Weaver, painting ... mostly because this is naturally where my interests are and I wanted to catch up a bit where I left off with things before I met Brad and I became a Mom.

     So far so good ... you may have noticed that there have been no rocket science or brain surgery classes as of yet.  Maybe because I have no interest there or maybe because I've been playing it safe and choosing things that I knew I would do well in.

    I admit that I am somewhat accustomed to being near the top of my class at most anything I do. (Or at least being able to keep up with everyone else in a respectable manner), and yes ... I sometimes consider this a character flaw but, It's always been part of who I am. No doubt there is plenty of room for change and I am pretty open to change right about now... 

   I 've decided to move a little bit outside my comfort zone this go around. I have added a class that while equally as artsy as the rest, there is no real guarantee of success. So ... I'm actually feeling a bit nervous about starting tonight, and I don't know nervous.

     Anyway ... wish me luck, I'll let you know how it goes. 

BTW ... the sunflower in the two photos above is a volunteer in my back yard compliments of the birds. They stop by for a free meal and they spread the seeds around and every now and again the mess that they make will produce a magnificent surprise like the one above.

     When I took the photo yesterday, the sky was sort of overcast so ... with the magic of photo shop I turned the gray sky blue in the second image.

                                              

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved the Pictures of the Sunflowers, both blue sky and the other, they are such a beautiful flowers ......and so kind of the birds to leave the seeds.....Ally

Anonymous said...

Awesome, as usual!!  I know you've probably heard this a zillion times, but I'm sure you'll do fine.  I'm an overachiever as well in my college courses, and I always freak out at the beginning of the semester.  You can do it!!

=) kris
http://journals.aol.com/kristeenaelise/thedailypurge

Anonymous said...

Those are beautiful. I have had them come up in my yard compliments of the birds also. Good luck on your new classes. Helen

Anonymous said...

Hmm...you've given me food for thought.

Anonymous said...

Did I miss something or did you not tell us what your new class is?

Your pictures, as usual, are gorgeous!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Let's see... still artsy, but not something youve done so far... I'm looking forward to you telling us what the class was AND that you did fantastic in it. It's good to step outside of that safe litte box we build for outselves!

Anonymous said...

Well, what class are you taking????
I also took classes in my comfort zone  too, so I do understand TOTALLY!
So I need to know what class your taking????!!!
I just love the top photo~
Marie

Anonymous said...

Man...I would LOVE to take a class...can't find any good ones near me.  Anyone ever take any online photo classes?  
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the new class, Coy!!! : D

I love the sunflower! And I love when birds stop by and spread odd seeds around. You lucked out and got something beautiful. Enjoy it! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for leaving the kind words at my journal. :)

I loved reading about your adventures with Mort & Chunkie a few months ago.


Denielle
http://journals.aol.com/deniden/thisisme

Anonymous said...

I am taking your life as my example as my baby gets older
Marti