Sunday, January 22, 2006

You Are What You Read ...

or is it, you are what you eat? 

                           

     I stopped by Barnes and Noble tonight after work to pick up a copy of American Vertigo, a new book written by Bernard Levy. They said the book is not in yet but they are expecting their first shipment of 13 books on Tuesday, so I reserved a copy and I'll pick it up after work.

     Early ... me ... imagine that, (I'm never early.)

     Monsieur Levy is a French Philosopher who hates the war in Iraq but loves America. Hmmm ... a French Man that admits to loving America?

     I read an article about the book in the Wall Street Journal today at work. For what ever reason, our daily copy of the New York Times has been replaced by the Journal and an occasional copy of the Barone Report.

      If in fact you are what you read, then there's no telling what this year has in store with this stuff gracing the lunch room table every day. (I miss the NY Times though) maybe I should order my own subscription and have it delivered to the office, that's the only place I ever read the paper.

     I would have scanned the cover of the book to use for the graphic in this entry but since I don't pick it up until Tuesday, I decided to use the illustration found in The WSJ instead, It's really cute anyway. 

     I think the illustrations in this paper rival those in the NY Times. This particular graphic is probably what drew me to the article, but it was the not so left, not so right content of the whole thing that made me want to go out and buy the book. 

      I'll let you know if it's any good. Have a great week everyone.

                                                   

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds interesting!  Keep us posted....
Nancy

Anonymous said...

If I am what I read, then I am probably just about an entire library by now! I don't even dare buy a book. I consider the library mine, and those nice people keep the books for me unless I need one. If I need one, I go online and put one on hold, then they email me when the book comes in, and I go pick it up. I usually have roughly 20 books combined between my books I have out and the ones still on hold. I stay away from bookstores like drunks should stay away from bars! I don't watch TV, I read. I can stop when I want, start again when I want, re-read if I want, and there is no noise. (although my daughter says I turn the pages too loudly)

I hope you enjoy your book!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

That sounds like Greg Kinear in "You Got Mail". The letter he writes to save Meg Ryans store. He also called her "a lone read!" Yep...seen the movie way too many times! HA! I was at BN tonight too. Picked up a copy of "Night" by Elie Wiesel (Oprah's next Book of the Month) going to offer to my students for Extra Credit. Also got Billy Crystal's "700 Sundays" for 50% off and the new Scientific American Mind. Hey this is a great idea for Patrick's Saturday's Six....what do you read to get to know people's personalities! :-)

Anonymous said...

It has been awhile Coy since I have visited, want to get caught up very much...sounds like a good book..keep us up to date on the outcome!
Many hugs,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

That sounds like an interesting book, please do let us know if its any good.
I subscribe to Time magazine and the Economist. But every now and again if there's something that catches my eye i'll pick it up and have a read.

shermeen xx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/shermeen0621/PublicThoughts/

Anonymous said...

I'm always in the mood for a good book.
Do let us know if it turns out to be one!
Love,
Connie

Anonymous said...

you are just the most interesting person
Marti