Thursday, March 16, 2006

Musical Update ...

     Next Wednesday is the last class in the beginner guitar course I've been taking. I have not had a lot of time on my hands for updates on the past few classes. We've gone over so much in such a short amount of time like ... practicing movable chords, (using F formation a lot). We've also gone over a list of common chord progressions (just encase we ever find ourselves in Nashville).

 

     Last night we worked on converting a song to a new key without using a capo, that was a bit like math class. Oh and don't want to leave out the rocking beat we practiced for The Hokey Pokey. I'm sure that the rocking beat must have other important uses besides the The Hokey Pokey, it sounds to me like it might be used in Johnny B Goode.

     One of the best parts of the class is meeting out in the court yard 30 minutes early. We get the chance to practice a bit together and to talk about things like software and such. Some of us will be using and comparing Guitar Pro and Band in a Box. Both are designed to help beginners as well as accomplished musicians improve their skills, compose there own music and accompany themselves with other instruments.

     Gotta love computers, now with a click of a mouse we can explore thousands of songs online then transpose and transcribe them in easy notation. Anyone have any comment or advice on either program? I'll let you know what we think once we start using them. Very happy that tomorrow is Friday.

             

                                                      

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for you completing the class! (almost)  IF I get to see you in April,  you'll have to play something for me!  lol
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Did you have a musical background?  I'm really impressed by what's being covered in this "beginner" class.  I applaud you for taking this on.  I know so many adults who seem to think that if they didn't learn an instrument as a child, it's just too late.

Anonymous said...

Will you be going on to another more advanced class after this one? It doesn't sound at all like you would need to retake this one for more experience. Dr Bob sounds like the Music Man only with great success! I guess I will have to come down too so I can hear you play! Yeah, like I need a reason to go to Florida, lol. Will you do an audio for us?

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Very cool!  I had a chance to play with some music software a few years ago. I bet it's come a long way since then.

Anonymous said...

I had to flip back through quite a few entries to find this one. How is your playing coming along?  I'm so excited!!! I got my first guitar today. I did an entry the day I bought it. It came with a 5 disk DVD lesson series. We'll see how I do.  I got a question for you, since you're further along. How do you attach a guitar strap?? LOL I got the "button" part on the end/bottom. What do I do with the end with the strings???? lmao you should have seen me trying to tune the thing. I had no point of reference. I had to find MP3s to listen to so I could figure out how each string was supposed to sound. Then I fine tuned with my new digital tuner. :-}  So hows about an update in here?!