Saturday, September 18, 2004

Calling all Fishermen

OK, so maybe there are not a lot of fishermen out there reading Dancing in the Rain, I just felt like calling them anyway. To say this ...

Hey, I was barely 6 years old what did you expect a 30 pound Snook or something? The short kid is my sister.

     If ever you loose your day job, maybe you would want to consider an idea that I have been entertaining in the back of my mind.

     A job that may sound to good to be true, especially if you are a Snook Angler (I am not one, but I love fishing and nothing makes me feel more alive than being out in the sun on a really fast boat. It just doesn't get any better than that.)

     The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission is paying people to catch and release Snook in the local waters here in South Florida.

     Yep, you heard me, paid to just go fishing. How is that for a dream job? As the fish are caught and released, important scientific information is being gathered. Mimicking the local Snook Anglers gives the scientist a good idea of what the population is here in our waters and I'm sure there is other environmental information being gathered at the same time. 

      Trying to simulate as closely as possible, real life recreational fishing means moving in and out of many areas that fishermen frequent not just the inlets. The more I think about this the more I think this is probably just a Pirates look at 40 thing I am going through today. Any Parrot Heads out there?

    

PIRATE LOOKS AT FORTY Jimmy Buffett
Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call,
Wanted to sail upon your waters
since I was three feet tall.
You've seen it all, you've seen it all.

Watch the men who rode you,
Switch from sails to steam.
And in your belly you hold the treasure
that few have ever seen, most of them dreams,
Most of them dreams.

Yes, I am a pirate two hundred years too late.
The cannons don't thunder there's nothin' to plunder
I'm an over forty victim of fate
Arriving too late, arriving too late.

Well you know the rest:-)

              *** Coy ***

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great picture!!!!
Loved it!
-Connie

Anonymous said...

I loved this entry.....but I bet you knew I would.....great photo Coy.....Hubby laughed when he saw this photo.......you should side by side your fishy photo with the 60lb tuna photo I have posted on my site, LOL LOL LOL!  

This sounds like a great job in Florida!  How's the pay ;-)

~jerseygirl

Anonymous said...

"Fish on" LOL -I love the pic! : ) I also love to go fishing. Sorry Coy...Not a big Buffet fan. : (  Cute entry!!! Hugs to you ~Ann

Anonymous said...

What a lovely pic. Hmmmm, getting paid to fish?  Sounds interesting.  Since I've been on call this week some fishing time sounds wonderful.

Anonymous said...

I love the photo!  But I honestly hate fishing so much that I probably wouldn't do it even if someone paid me. LOL  We used to go crabbing when I was little and I always liked that.  My father would bring all the crabs home, boil 'em, and we'd sit for a long time together, just eating.  It was one of those "peaceful" times from my childhood.  I haven't been crabbing as an adult, though.  :(