Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Tiny Reminders

  School started here today, it's a reminder that summer is almost over. Here in South Florida (the land of endless summer) we depend on prompts to let us know when the seasons change.

     We won't expect to see much change in temperature until maybe mid October and chances are good that like last year, you may find us basking in the sun at the beach come Christmas or New Year's Day.

     Summertime seems so much different now that I am single (after 17 years), the kids are nearly grown (21, 20 & 17) and I am starting a new life on my own.

     I was just sitting here asking myself whether or not I really slowed down enough this year to take time to enjoy the simple pleasures of summer. You know the simple things like ...

Relaxing in a hammock * catching fireflies * making homemade ice-cream * attending a family reunion * going to a drive in movie * pitching a tent and singing campfire songs * swimming in a lake * attending an outdoor concert * watching a fireworks display * remembering to wave the flag * watching a local parade * hosting a pot luck dinner * collecting seashells on the beach * flying a kite * taking a moon lit walk * stargazing * picking fresh strawberries  * making homemade potato salad * having a crawfish boil * baking a special cake * garage sale-ing on Saturday mornings * having a block party with the neighbors * playing volleyball * spending a lazy afternoon fishing * having a picnic in the park * entering a watermelon seed spitting contest * running a 3 legged race * playing tug of war * enjoying ice cold lemonade outdoors in the shade * attending a little league baseball game * watching the birds or a butterfly * planting a garden * going horseback riding * snorkeling at a local reef * taking a row boat out on a lake  Hmmm ... did I even take time to dance in the rain?   

    I may not have gotten around to all of the things I would have like to have done but pictures above are tiny reminders of some of the sights, sonuds, smells and tastes of the awesome summer I did have this year.

                                     *** Coy ***  

 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

AWESOME............LOVE YOUR JOURNAL NAME, I USE TO LOVE TO PLAY IN THE RAIN.  AS I HAVE GROWN OLDER AND HOPEFULLY WISER, I WORRY TOO MUCH ABOUT LIGHTNING.  I LIVED IN FLA FOR 14 YEARS BEFORE MOVING TO SC, I THINK THAT IS WHERE I REALLY BEGAN TO FEAR AND RESPECT LIGHTNING............UNFORTUNATELY, SINCE I HAVE BEEN IN SC I HAVE LEARNED TO HATE SUMMER.....ISN'T THAT AWFUL!  BUT I LOVE THE NOSTALGIA..................STORMIE

Anonymous said...

Watch out for those storms. See if you guys in South Florida can stop them before they hit us here in North Florida.
Mark
http://journals.aol.com/mgraves6033/HumorousVerse/

Anonymous said...

What a great entry... I enjoyed reading it, fellow Floridian here.. Peace and Blessings* Mel

http://journals.aol.com/domesticangel35/LifeOrSomethingLikeIt

Anonymous said...

What a fanatastic swansong for "the week" entry, Coy.  totally cool.
~~mumsy

Anonymous said...

Loved the collage! Be careful this week with those 2 storms headed your way.
Celeste

Anonymous said...

Love the photo montages you put together!
Glad you had a good summer, can't believe
it's almost over already!  

jerseygirl

Anonymous said...

What a lovely montage you have put together.  I am sure each picture has a wonderful story tied to it.

Anonymous said...

Ahh.. what a summer!  We were blessed this year in that a cold-front blew in JUST as school started.  It was timed perfectly and really made it *feel* like fall.  [Remember when we didn't go back to school until it really WAS fall??]  Anyway, great photos and great entry.  Hammocks and fireflies - that's what summer's all about.  :D