Monday, June 28, 2004

Gumbo Limbo

       Yesterday, Mandy and I took a long overdue trip to the beach. There is nothing like a little salt air and sunshine to help you relax and recharge. Before we hit the beach we stopped by Gumbo Limbo for the first time this year to check in on the Sea Turtles.

      Gumbo Limbo is a local environmental preservation center which among other things is dedicated to saving sea turtles. They have moved mountains as far as helping to pass ordinances for coastal lighting to be the yellow lights that will not attract hatchling turtles away from the ocean and right towards the street.

      They rescue many sea turtles, sometimes assuming the job of nursing them back to health and releasing them back into the ocean when they are ready. I appreciate their efforts and visit the turtles when I can. The photo above is of one we took of a turtle that reside there right now. Awww how cute is he?

      The rest of the rest of Saturday was like a day at the beach with my daughter. Just what we both needed.       

*** Coy ***

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the sea turtles.  I've seen a few scuba diving.  I didn't know about the lights, but it does make sense.  It's nice to know that people care.  The turtles are amazing creatures.

Love, Penny

Anonymous said...

Corpus Christie is known for their sea turtles.  I know there's a conservation program nearby because we visited it when we were in school as a field trip.  It was really interesting.  These animals are beautiful... and they live a LONG time.  ::smile::